Skip to main content

5 Budget Friendly Mommy and Daughter "Date" Ideas



My two older girls are of an age where mommy/ daughter time is so important and can be very special if done correctly. There are lots of options to planning a special time with your daughter that cost little or nothing. Here are some ideas that are both inexpensive and fun. The idea is not how much money you spend, but the quality time spent with them and the memories you will make together. The following are ideas for preschool and early school age girls, but could be adjusted to older and younger children as well.

DIY Mother/ Daughter Spa & Glam Night.  This is an evening of relaxation for both mom and daughter(s). Paint each other’s nails, get out the avocado mask, give each other makeovers, and even get dressed up and have a fashion show.   

**If you have little extra money to spend, go to a nail salon together. Most salons will charge a discount fee for children. I have tried this before with my girls. It was so much fun.

Tea Time.  Find your best table cloth and china or plastic tea set for younger girls.  Decorate your table with a beautiful bouquet of flowers. Next, get dressed up. Then serve little cucumber sandwiches (or just fancy cookies) while practicing proper tea conversation and manners.  More tea please.

Take a walk. There is something to be said for spending time with one another, while soaking up one another’s presence. Some of the best memories I have of spending time with loved ones involved doing this. This might involve walking around your neighborhood, or the grounds of a local historic site.

Slumber Party. Most girls I know love a good slumber party. So put on your PJ’s, grab some snacks, and every available pillow in the house.  Play an exciting game of charades, and finish off the evening with a movie. It’s likely by the time the movie is done everyone will have fallen asleep, hopefully.

Picnic. One of my best memories I have growing up is having picnics with my   grandparents. I still remember lying in the tall grass staring at the clear blue sky.  All you need are some sandwiches, snacks, dessert, and drinks in a cooler. Then go to a special location to have your picnic such as the park, or the beach.


  I want to give a shout out, and big thank you to a new friend I made last week, Aegean Chantal Thompson, over at the thepreggoplanner.com/. She has been doing an amazing job encouraging mom’s to spend some time taking care of themselves. Last week, I have been participated in her Mom. Me. Love. Challenge.  She inspired me to spend little more time on myself.  I plan to keep putting into practice the things that I learned, so I have more of myself to give to my family. One of the challenges this week was to pamper myself. I ended up sharing the pampering with my two girls, and they loved it.  We definitely need to do this more often.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frugal Friday- Memory Lane

My grandparents farm When I was young, I never fully appreciated the lessons in frugality that my parents and grandparents practiced. My grandparents owned a dairy farm, always had  large garden, and had their own pigs and chickens.  Up until I was a teenager we ended up getting all of our meat, and milk from them.  I never thought of meat or milk as something that comes from  a grocery store. My mom, except for a short time when we were young was a stay at home mom. She baked everyday, and for  a few years even baked all of our bread. She taught me how to pinch pennies both directly and indirectly.  She allowed me to watch her put together a budget, pay bills, and grocery shop with her. There was six of us in our family and she had  forty dollar weekly grocery budget. This was super difficult even though this happened over twenty years ago. Yet she made it work. Twenty years later, I am the one with a family of six. My challenges are that I do not live close by to my

Liebster Award and Nominees

I am so excited to announce that Home Sweet Home Team has been nominated for a Liebster Award.. The rules for the Liebster Blogging Award are as follows: * Thank the blog that nominated you and link back to them.. *Answer 11 questions from the blogger that nominated you.   *Tell readers 11 random facts about yourself... *Nominate up to 11 bloggers to receive the award next.. *Give your new nominees questions to answer about themselves. A Liebster Award is given by the blogging community to recognize and support new bloggers like ME!! I am so honored that Amy from  Third Shift Living nominated me.. Her blog is so awesome and I can sooo relate to many of her blog post.. As I read her articles, I can hear her "voice" just as if we are sitting in the same room together talking. One of my favorite posts of hers is " My New Daily Routine for Third Shift Workers ”.  I am not a third shift worker, but I

Meal Plan Monday- ( Dinner and Snacks) Week of 2/29/6

Over the weekend I found great sale on chicken at Stop and Shop, $.88/lb.  I also managed to get a great deal on frozen turkey breast, $ .99/lb. It may sound strange, but I have never actually made roast chicken before. I usually just buy the frozen chicken breasts.  I hope it turns out well, and the family likes it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Here is my plan of action for dinner this week. I’m hoping to score some favorites this week.   Dinner Plan Monday- Roast Chicken and Vegetables Tuesday- Spaghetti and meatballs and salad Wednesday- Chicken quesadillas and corn Thursday- Sandwiches (made to order) Friday- Goulash Saturday-  Pizza -------------------- Goulash 1 pound ground beef 1 small onion chopped  1 can diced tomatoes drained 1lb box macaroni cooked Sauté onion, brown ground beef, combines with macaroni, and diced tomatoes.  Salt and pepper to taste. Yield 6-8 servings --------------------- After School