Skip to main content

Meal Plan Recap for Week of February 29

Original Meal Plan

Monday-Roast Chicken and Vegetables
Tuesday- Spaghetti and meatballs and salad
Wednesday- Chicken quesadillas and corn
Thursday- Sandwiches (made to order)
Friday- Goulash
Saturday- Pizza
 ------------
Adjusted Meal Plan
Monday-Roast Chicken and Vegetables
Tuesday- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Bake
Wednesday- Chicken fajitas with rice and corn
Thursday-  Lasagna ( freezer meal)
Friday-  Sandwiches (made to order)
Saturday- Spaghetti and Meatball Bake ( freezer meal)






 The purpose of a meal plan is to give you something to aim for, but sometimes life happens  so even the best intentions may not happen.  On Monday, this week I started with the roast chicken, which turned out wonderfully.  This was the first time I made this recipe.  I’m not sure why I’ve never made it before.  I guess I’ve always been intimidated to try it.  Perhaps I thought it to be too time consuming.  It turned out so well, and I ended up with enough leftover chicken for two additional meals.  Everyone seemed to like this, so I will file this under a fan favorite.


On Tuesday evening, I was feeling creative and wanted to do something different than the usual spaghetti and meatballs.  I wanted to do something with the leftover chicken and leftover ricotta cheese in the fridge from making lasagna.  I found a few recipes online for chicken-etti.   Here is my version that I call Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Bake.  Everyone loved this recipe, and I will definitely be making it again. At the same time that I made this recipe I put together a spaghetti and meatball casserole and put it in the freezer.
  

Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Bake

 1 package uncooked spaghetti
2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 egg

Cook spaghetti and set aside.   Combine ricotta, egg, Parmesan, margarine, and half of mozzarella cheese ( as if making lasagna). In 8x8  pan layer cheese mixture with spaghetti,  and top with mozzarella, and Mexican cheese.    Bake at 350 for 45 minutes

On Wednesday , I still had more chicken left over, and I ended up making more of a soft chicken taco instead of a quesadilla. The reason was that I simply ran out of time, and so I could serve the components of tacos separately. This tends to be the best way for my family because not everyone usually will eat every component of a combined dish. I have found that when I try to add to many elements to a dish that is where I get into trouble with the kids not wanting to try new things.   The side dish with this meal was just simple fruit salad of clementine’s, and bananas.  My husband and I both enjoyed this dish as intended, but the kids ate the components separately.  I would make this again, but I don’t think that the kids would have considered this to be a fan favorite.

Soft Chicken Tacos

( Busy evening and I forgot to take picture)

2 cups chicken stock
1 cup rice
1 can corn
¼ cup salsa
 1 package taco seasoning
 Mexican Shredded Cheese
1 onion
1 red pepper
Flour tortillas or soft taco shells

Direction
Saute chicken, salsa, taco seasoning, onion, and diced peppers in butter or margarine. Cook separately rice in chicken stock as per package direction.  Serve in flour tortillas with cheese, corn and rice.

On Thursday we had an extremely busy evening, and I really was not in the mood for sandwiches.  Therefore, I grabbed lasagna out of the freezer and popped it into the oven for an hour.  I usually add about 15-20 minutes extra to cooking time when baking anything directly from the freezer.  This recipe usually is a favorite at my house, but tonight the kids just didn’t seem to be in the mood. I likely should have gone with the sandwiches.   At the very least, my husband and I enjoyed it and there was enough for leftover for lunch the next day.

Friday night normally is another busy night at our house.  I was busy all day with taking care of a sick child, so I decided to have the sandwiches. This worked well, because they were made to order.

On Saturday, I had great plans of making homemade pizza. However, in the afternoon, we had some furniture delivered and we spent good portion of the afternoon rearranging things in our living room.  I never had the opportunity to make the pizza dough so I ended up pulling the spaghetti casserole out of the freezer.  Though my kids aren’t big tomato sauce fans, they ate it. Their favorite part was the meatballs.  My baby daughter enjoyed feeding herself the spaghetti with some mozzarella cheese and was all smiles.  My husband will have the leftovers for his lunch on Monday.


I find meal planning to be helpful, but  am also a believer in being flexible. It is not always possible to  foresee things that end up happening that might affect our meal plan. This is why it is important to be flexible. This is another reason I like freezer meals because they give me some flexibility.  I likely will move anything I didn’t make, like the goulash, and pizza, into next week.  

So how did you do with your meal plan this week? Please feel free to leave a comment below,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frugal Friday- Memory Lane

My grandparents farm When I was young, I never fully appreciated the lessons in frugality that my parents and grandparents practiced. My grandparents owned a dairy farm, always had  large garden, and had their own pigs and chickens.  Up until I was a teenager we ended up getting all of our meat, and milk from them.  I never thought of meat or milk as something that comes from  a grocery store. My mom, except for a short time when we were young was a stay at home mom. She baked everyday, and for  a few years even baked all of our bread. She taught me how to pinch pennies both directly and indirectly.  She allowed me to watch her put together a budget, pay bills, and grocery shop with her. There was six of us in our family and she had  forty dollar weekly grocery budget. This was super difficult even though this happened over twenty years ago. Yet she made it work. Twenty years later, I am the one with a family of six. My challenges are that I do not live close by to my

Liebster Award and Nominees

I am so excited to announce that Home Sweet Home Team has been nominated for a Liebster Award.. The rules for the Liebster Blogging Award are as follows: * Thank the blog that nominated you and link back to them.. *Answer 11 questions from the blogger that nominated you.   *Tell readers 11 random facts about yourself... *Nominate up to 11 bloggers to receive the award next.. *Give your new nominees questions to answer about themselves. A Liebster Award is given by the blogging community to recognize and support new bloggers like ME!! I am so honored that Amy from  Third Shift Living nominated me.. Her blog is so awesome and I can sooo relate to many of her blog post.. As I read her articles, I can hear her "voice" just as if we are sitting in the same room together talking. One of my favorite posts of hers is " My New Daily Routine for Third Shift Workers ”.  I am not a third shift worker, but I

Meal Plan Monday- ( Dinner and Snacks) Week of 2/29/6

Over the weekend I found great sale on chicken at Stop and Shop, $.88/lb.  I also managed to get a great deal on frozen turkey breast, $ .99/lb. It may sound strange, but I have never actually made roast chicken before. I usually just buy the frozen chicken breasts.  I hope it turns out well, and the family likes it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Here is my plan of action for dinner this week. I’m hoping to score some favorites this week.   Dinner Plan Monday- Roast Chicken and Vegetables Tuesday- Spaghetti and meatballs and salad Wednesday- Chicken quesadillas and corn Thursday- Sandwiches (made to order) Friday- Goulash Saturday-  Pizza -------------------- Goulash 1 pound ground beef 1 small onion chopped  1 can diced tomatoes drained 1lb box macaroni cooked Sauté onion, brown ground beef, combines with macaroni, and diced tomatoes.  Salt and pepper to taste. Yield 6-8 servings --------------------- After School